Wednesday 11 November 2009

Knitted? I Think You'll Find That's Crochet

I love Harry Hill’s TV burp, it’s the only thing on TV that I get mad about missing but something has been bothering me for quite a while. It’s this: From the very first clip when the Knitted Character first appeared in Eastenders I said “that’s not knitted, it’s crocheted” but I let it slide because I didn’t think much of it. But now the character has taken off, you can even win one with the weekly competition. It’s driving me insane, partly because whenever I’m crocheting anyone who sees me goes “what are you knitting?” I then have 3 choices 1. Go into a lengthy diatribe about how knitting is completely different and uses two needles, whereas crochet just uses one hook and the look of the stitches and the feel of the finished garment is completely different 2. Answer “Scarf” 3. Beat them with my crochet hook until they’re no longer bothering me. There are two reasons it drives me mad, the first is that you’d never go to someone with coloured pencils and ask them what they were painting. Oh, and trust me don’t EVER ask someone who’s a Ham Radio operator if they’re doing CB radio. The second is it proves just how little knowledge and interest people actually have, crochet and knitting are different. They could ask “Are you knitting?” and I’d be fine, I’d probably even answer “Sort of, I’m crocheting, similar idea, different tools.” But they don’t, they assume I’m knitting and that really riles me. 

No comments: